Requisition must be signed by a healthcare provider. Please print and bring the requisition to your healthcare provider for signature.
OsteoporosisOsteoporosis is responsible for the loss of bone mass without obvious symptoms until a bone is broken. The Serum C-telopeptide (CTX) test can detect relevant changes in bone breakdown in as little as a few months. By knowing your risk through a Serum CTX test from LifeLabs you can prevent, delay or reduce bone loss.
About Serum CTX testing
Who is this test for?
Anyone can develop osteoporosis, but the risk increases with age. You should speak to your healthcare provider about having a Serum CTX test if you have some of the following risk factors:
- are over the age of 50
- have disorders associated with rapid bone loss
- have used glucocorticoids such as prednisone for prolonged periods
- have experience fragility fractures
- experienced premature menopause or are a menopausal woman
- have a parent who had a hip fracture
- have a spine fracture or low bone mass identified on x-ray
- are a smoker
What is this test used for?
The Serum CTX test measures the amount of degraded bone circulating in the bloodstream by detecting the C-terminal telopeptide of type I collagen – a protein component of bone. Serum CTX can detect relevant changes in bone breakdown in as little as a few months, unlike bone mass density test which requires several years to generate a measurable output.
To understand more about this test click on learn more:
Anti-Aging and Wellness
Test Turnaround Time
Results available to ordering physician within 2 weeks
LifeLabs Patient Service Centre (BC and ON)
- Osteoperosis-Pamphlet-RMDownload PDF